Monday 17 March 2014

My Solutions to a Creative Slump

This time I wanted to write a post about some work I have been creating. It's been a little while since I posted about being creative and things I have been working on. The difficult thing is however, that I haven't really been very creative or worked on anything recently. So today's post is going to be about what I do when I'm struggling to come up with ideas or just being creative at all. 

So, to start, I get really fed up and moany! I mope about a bit and sit at my desk with a blank page in front of me and all kinds of exciting materials like washi tape, stickers, Posca pens and graphic markers and still can't come up with anything. Cue more moping! 

When I've finally pulled myself together I get together a stack of books for inspiration. Our house is a bit like a non-fiction library. I have a problem. I admit it. BUT I am so grateful for having many exciting books to flick through in times of need. 

Just a the stack I'm currently pouring over!

I'll also doodle while watching TV. This stops me from worrying too much about the results. I find that because I make products I'm always thinking about if what I'm doing is worthwhile because I can make money from it. That is, in fact, utter madness. Every doodle and experiment is worthwhile because it's a journey, a process that may result in a fantastic idea and a very worthwhile product! Also just sketching or doodling is fun and keeps being creative exciting. 

I doodled this page while watching Exit Through The Gift Shop a documentary about Banksy. 

Another trick I do is try and recreate something that has really inspired me. You can learn so much about a material or a technique by trying to do it yourself and then you can manipulate it or develop it into your own work. 
This collage was inspired by the beautiful branding of the Sochi Winter Olympics and Paralympics. I liked the idea but not the result so much!

Share your own tips for getting out of a creative slump in the comments! 

No comments: