Saturday 24 April 2010

An experiment with a new way to make screens




















I drew this typewriter on Wednesday. After weeks of no idea of what to even draw let alone print or make it came as a huge relief to actually produce something I like and I can possibly print.

I usually make stencils to print my designs but have just discovered a new way of making reusable screens. You paint what you want to print onto a screen using Speedball Drawing Fluid and then coat the whole thing with Speedball Screen Filler. You then wash out the blue drawing fluid and bingo you have a permanent screen. I used to do a similar technique where you draw on the screen with oil pastels, coat it with gum arabic then wash out the oil pastel with white spirit.

The image did not come out perfectly. But then it wasn't going to was it? I rather like the hand drawn look to it and have plans of how to use this technique in the future. I only had a few blank bags to print on so there are only 3 available. But of course there will be more, because I can use the screen again!

2 comments:

Louise said...

Brilliant! This sounds perfect, sometimes I cant be arsed to mess around with complicated stencils. Good luck on sunday! I hope it goes well x

Sarah Wade said...

looking forward to getting crafty over half term - need to get my sewing machine out of the loft xx